Meitheal Mara wishes to recruit a part-time Progression & Programme Support Coordinator to integrate and enhance the outcomes from Meitheal Mara’s training and personal progression activities. The person recruited will work with the training staff team to support the progression of all learners at Meitheal Mara, including staff members. The Coordinator will play a key role in upholding an open, positive learning culture within the organisation.
Meitheal Mara operates both as an enterprise and a community training centre. It is a busy environment where the traditional skills of boatbuilding, woodcraft and boat handling are used to provide work and learning opportunities for adults and young people of all ages. A particular focus is provision for individuals and groups who find it challenging to participate in formal learning processes. Our approach is inclusive and based on mutual respect, ensuring that Meitheal Mara is a welcoming and supportive place for all to train and progress. Learning programmes are supported via the Back to Education Initiative through Cork ETB. QQI accreditation at Levels 3 and 4 for a number of modules is also supported by Cork ETB.
The individual appointed will have strong facilitation and group work skills, and relevant work experience in community development, training/mentoring and social inclusion. The rate of pay is the pro rata equivalent of €30,420 per annum. The position is part-time and for a fixed term in the first instance (up to 31/12/2022).
- Improve and maintain existing structures for facilitating programme participants to document their learning and personal progression
- Provide motivation, support and a channel for feedback and evaluation of skills progression, impact on health and well-being and indirect benefits/effects from group programmes
- Support the workshop team on group training programmes by interacting with participants, assisting with team building and providing a safe and supportive learning environment
- Encourage the engagement of participants in wider learning, enterprise and work experience opportunities arising from the activities of Meitheal Mara and partner organisations
- Ensure that QQI Quality Assurance learning standards are achieved by learners, tutors and at organisational level
- Contribute to the design, development and approval of additional modules for Meitheal Mara delivery from Cork ETB QQI courses and other sources
- Ensure that records of learners are kept according to the requirements of Meitheal Mara and programme funders
- Compile end-of-year and interim reports for programme funding bodies and the Meitheal Mara Board
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Relevant education and training (eg. including Train the Trainer; Group Facilitation; Coaching/Mentoring qualifications)
- Experience of working in a similar role to support people from diverse backgrounds in a community development/social inclusion setting.
- An understanding of and experience in administering QQI Quality Assurance standards
- Good administrative skills; record keeping and computer skills (eg MS Word, Excel, Outlook, social media)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, mentoring and listening skills
- The ability to motivate and connect participants, develop teams and build relationships.
- The capacity to be patient, non-judgemental, resourceful
- Be highly motivated by helping people to progress in their own terms and by the community development ethos of Meitheal Mara.
Knowledge/an interest in wood work, boat building, boats and/or boat handling skills may be beneficial.
Further information on Meitheal Mara is available at www.meithealmara.ie
Applications enclosing a max. two-page CV and a cover letter highlighting your suitability for the role, relevant skills and experience for this position may be sent to: Cathy Buchanan, General Manager, Meitheal Mara, Crosses Green House, Crosses Green, Cork or by email to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Monday, 25th April 2022
Interviews for those successfully shortlisted are provisionally scheduled for the same week.
This position is co-funded through the Department of Rural and Community Development’s Community Services Programme (Strand 3). One of the aims of the CSP is to create sustainable jobs for those who might otherwise find it difficult to get work.
Meitheal Mara is an equal opportunities employer and this position is open to all applicants. However applications will be welcomed from the following in particular:
- Persons in receipt of disability allowance, invalidity pension, blind person’s pension or other disability benefit.
- Travellers in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Assistance or one parent family benefit.
- Stabilised and recovering drug misusers.
- People with convictions who are in contact with the Probation Service
Further information is available on Pobal’s website at: