It’s a busy time for recruitment in the Cork Harbour Festival & Ocean to City office ! We have two positions vacant – a Marketing, PR and Programme Coordinator (more info here) and an experienced event manager with a passion for community events and the sea for the role of Maritime Event Manager (to provide maternity leave cover). More info below.
Recruiting: Community Maritime Event Manager (Maternity Leave Cover)
Ocean to City & Cork Harbour Festival
Meitheal Mara, Cork’s community boatyard and maritime training centre, wishes to recruit an experienced event manager for the 2022 Ocean to City race and Cork Harbour Festival. The position is to provide maternity leave cover and is offered on a fixed-term, temporary basis for the equivalent of 32 hours weekly. Flexibility on the distribution of hours will be required in order to meet the demands of the festival. Salary offered is the pro-rata equivalent of € 36,504 pa.
Ocean to City – An Rás Mór & Cork Harbour Festival (3 – 13 June 2022) Cork Harbour Festival is a 10 day harbour-wide event supported by Cork City Council, Cork County Council, the Port of Cork and Fáilte Ireland. It serves as an important expression of the work of Meitheal Mara and local maritime traditions. It features the flagship Ocean to City – An Rás Mór, as well as over 50 other events both on and off the water. The festival is coordinated by Meitheal Mara, and attracts over 30,000 visitors annually to the region. The successful candidate will have strong event management experience coupled with experience in managing and coordinating a mixed team of staff and volunteers in a community setting.
- Work with the Ocean to City Director, the Race Operations Task Group (who are volunteers) and the General Manager of Meitheal Mara to ensure the delivery, operation and sustainability of Ocean to City and Cork Harbour Festival.
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing funders.
- Work collaboratively with existing event partners to promote and manage the event; identify new partners and build relationships.
- Budget management, assist with forecasting and ensure that sponsorship and event activity falls within spending targets.
- Monitor and analyse the effectiveness of the event.
- Prepare post-event reports for programme funders and the Meitheal Mara Board
- Provide assistance for the work of Meitheal Mara as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working in event management, ideally in the
community and voluntary sector.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Excellent IT and social media skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Problem resolution skills and ability to deal with the unexpected.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team
- Ability and flexibility to work overtime and alternate shifts as job
- Experience of budget management and meeting income targets.
- Experience of meeting the requirements of funders.
- Experience and understanding of maritime events and the sea
would be an asset.
- Hands-on team leadership skills with line management experience.
- Be highly motivated by the community development ethos of
Applications enclosing a max. two-page CV with a cover letter highlighting relevant experience for this position may be sent to: Cathy Buchanan, General Manager, Meitheal Mara, Crosses Green House, Crosses Green, Cork or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Monday March 21st 2022
Interviews for those successfully shortlisted are provisionally scheduled for the week starting Monday 28th of March. The ideal start date is the week beginning Monday 11th of April.