Recruiting: Assistant Workshop Manager & Trainer
Meitheal Mara, Cork city’s community boatyard and maritime training centre, is inviting applications for the position of Assistant Workshop Manager and Trainer. The position is full-time (36 hours/week) with an annual wage of €28,080. The contract will be 12 months in the first instance.
The work involves providing assistance and support for the Workshop Manager & Trainer in the day-to-day running of the Meitheal Mara yard and workshop, including group work and training, and in ensuring that Meitheal Mara continues to be a welcoming and supportive place for workers and learners to train and progress.
The Meitheal Mara yard operates as both an enterprise and a community education centre. It is a busy environment where the traditional skills of boatbuilding and woodcraft are used to provide work and training for adults and young people of all ages. The approach is inclusive and based on mutual respect.
The successful candidate will have strong wood working skills and experience as well as experience in training and group work in a community setting. Garda vetting is a pre-requisite for the position.
- Assist the Workshop Manager & Trainer in the efficient running of the workshop and training programmes.
- Provide training and instruction in boat building, wood turning, woodwork, and personal development to staff, CE participants and outside groups of learners, including disability and youth groups.
- Assist in producing boats and other items to order to high standards of quality.
- Ensure a safe working environment by implementing Health and Safety policy, systems and procedures; monitoring and developing safe working methods and systems.
- Assist in providing a safe and supportive environment for all learners in line with Meitheal Mara’s Child Safeguarding Policy and relevant codes of practice.
- Line management and supervision of staff, participants and volunteers in the workshop.
- Assistance for the work of Meitheal Mara as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant wood working skills and workshop management experience, ideally in the community and voluntary sector. Good wood turning skills and/or boat building experience would be an advantage.
- Experience in group working and delivering training to people from diverse backgrounds, ideally in a community setting.
- Good organisational skills and knowledge of workshop systems and practices, including safe operation of fixed power tools
- Relevant qualifications and training.
- Be highly motivated by helping people to progress on their own terms.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Patience and good people management skills with the ability to work well under pressure and deal with the unexpected.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
Be highly motivated by the community development ethos of Meitheal Mara.
- Ability and flexibility to perform all other job-related and ad-hoc duties as required.
Further information here: https://meithealmara.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/MM-JD-Assistant-Workshop-Manager-Trainer-2019.pdf
Applications including a CV and cover letter highlighting relevant experience should be sent to: General Manager, Meitheal Mara, Crosses Green House, Crosses Green, Cork or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Wednesday 31st July, 2019.
Interviews for those successfully shortlisted are provisionally scheduled for the week starting Tuesday 6th August, 2019.
Note: This position is co-funded through the Department of Rural and Community Development’s Community Services Programme (Strand 3).
One of the aims of the CSP is to create sustainable jobs for those who might otherwise find it difficult to get work.
Meitheal Mara is an equal opportunities employer and this position is open to all applicants. However applications will be welcomed from the following in particular:
- Persons in receipt of disability allowance, invalidity pension, blind person’s pension or other disability benefit.
- Travellers in receipt of Jobseeker’s Benefit or Jobseeker’s Assistance or one parent family benefit.
- Stabilised and recovering drug misusers.
- People with convictions who are in contact with the Probation Service
Further information is available on Pobal’s website at www.pobal.ie/FundingProgrammes/CommunityServicesProgramme/Pag es/Programme-Information.aspx.