Maritime Events Manager
Ocean to City & Cork Harbour Festival
Meitheal Mara, Cork’s community boatyard and maritime training centre, wishes to recruit an experienced events manager for the annual Ocean to City An Ras Mór and Cork Harbour Festival. The position is for the equivalent of 32 hours weekly.
The role is based in Meitheal Mara’s offices at Crosses Green House with a contract up to 31/12/2024 in the first instance. Flexibility on the distribution of hours will be required in order to meet the demands of the position. The salary offered is the pro-rata equivalent of € 36,504 pa (under review).
Ocean to City – An Rás Mór is part of Cork Harbour Festival (1-10 June 2024) which features over a week of harbour-wide events annually supported by Cork City Council, Cork County Council, the Port of Cork and Fáilte Ireland. It serves as an important expression of the work of Meitheal Mara and local maritime traditions. The festival is coordinated by Meitheal Mara with over 50 events both on and off the water attracting over 30,000 visitors annually to the region.
The successful candidate will have strong event management experience coupled with experience in managing and coordinating a mixed team of staff and volunteers in a community setting.
- Work with the Ocean to City Director, the Race Operations Task Group (who are volunteers), the General Manager of Meitheal Mara and other staff members to ensure the delivery, operation and sustainability of Ocean to City and Cork Harbour Festival.
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing funders.
- Work collaboratively with existing event partners to promote and manage the event; identify new partners and build relationships.
- Line management of the Festival Assistant and the Marketing, PR and Programme Coordinator.
- Budget management, assist with forecasting and ensure that sponsorship and event activity falls within spending targets.
- Monitor and analyse the effectiveness of the event.
- Prepare post-event reports for programme funders and the Meitheal Mara Board.
- Provide assistance for the work of Meitheal Mara as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working in event management, ideally in the cultural, community and voluntary sector.
- Relevant qualifications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills.
- Excellent IT and social media skills.
- Experience with marketing and PR.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Problem resolution skills and ability to deal with the unexpected.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability and flexibility to work overtime and alternate shifts as job needs require.
- Experience of budget management and meeting income targets.
- Experience of meeting the requirements of funders.
- Experience and understanding of maritime events and the sea would be an asset.
- Hands-on team leadership skills with line management experience.
- Be highly motivated by the community development ethos of Meitheal Mara.
Applications enclosing a two-page (maximum) CV with a cover letter highlighting relevant experience for this position may be sent to: Cathy Buchanan, General Manager, Meitheal Mara, Crosses Green House, Crosses Green, Cork or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 7th December 2023.
Interviews for those successfully shortlisted will be held before 20/12/2023. The ideal start date is early January 2023.